Search This Blog

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Allison Update - Day 5

This is the email I just got from Eddie and Chrissy. Sounds like things are going good which is great, cause I don't like being left alone too long. I'm a social butterfly. And while I love that their friends Dave and Cindy Perry are coming by to make sure I have food and water each day, I need someone to sit on the couch and watch t.v. so I can curl up on their chest and knead their blanket (Its's my favorite pastime).

Anyway, here is the email...


Happy Saturday Everyone...

I thought it was about time to update everyone on how Allison is coming along. We are at Day 5 now of what I have to say is the most surreal experience of my life…I cannot tell sometimes if it's reality or something I am watching on an NBC drama series. First of all, to the important matter. As of right now Allison is doing great, considering everything she has gone through and everything we have expected of her little body. She did have some weight loss, which is expected of any newborn, especially a preemie. I believe she was 750 grams at birth and dropped to 670 grams by Day 3. However we were prepared by the doctors to expect this and by today she is already back up to 760 grams. So she is filling out a bit.

Actually just about everything that has come up we have been prepared for by the doctors. I know I have mentioned this before but taking care of a 28 week preemie seems like just another day at the office for all of them even though I find it miraculous they have kept her so healthy. And I must say that it is very comforting to watch them and hear them talk about it so "matter of fact-ly".

On Day 3 they did need to take Allison off the CPAP machine which was helping to push oxygen into her lungs so she didn't have to work so hard to breathe. However she was showing signs of struggling with that a bit so they intubated her. She now has a small tube in her throat pushing oxygen directly in. That coupled with some medicine to help her lungs absorb the oxygen has really helped a lot. When we watch her sleeping now she seems a LOT more comfortable.

Something else we learned is that she is very sensitive to lots of stimulation. That includes loud noises and stroking of her skin. So when we touch her, which we can do often, its usually laying hands on her, like warm blankets. She does like this and responds positively to that. We have also made sure to stay quiet in her room so we are usually whispering or talking in very low volumes (yes Chrissy does just fine with that when its called for). Chrissy was actually discharged from the hospital on Thursday afternoon so we spent that night at home. She came back to the hospital to be with Allison Friday morning and I joined her Friday night after working form home myself.

Let me also fill you in on the room she is in as most people are very surprised by the facility. She has her own private room where one charge nurse is constantly watching her. They switch 12 hours shifts from 7am to 7pm each day and are continually monitoring her and making sure she is fed and gets her medications every hour of the day. When they go on break or lunch, someone else is watching their baby for them. Its quite the customer service. The room has the baby bed/incubator with all the medical sensors and equipment they will need for her all along one wall. On the other wall is a day bed, a reclining chair, cable tv with DVD player and private bathroom. I am telling you this because we can actually move into the room with her and stay whenever we want, day or night. I am writing this email after the first night we slept over. It's an experiment and we will see how it goes. WIth my snoring they might kick me out of the whole NICU anyway.

So that's where we are now. Everything is kind of progressing as they think it should and feel Allison is doing very good. We want to thank everyone for all their prayers and well wishes that we have received via email, Facebook, church, home, and everywhere else. It is really helping all three of us at this time. Also there has been an outpouring of people asking how they can help and if there is anything we need just to ask. It is all appreciated and once we are in a little more regular routine, we will be taking you all up on it. Considering both of our limited mobility this will probably consist of rides and possibly some prepared meals so we are not trying to cook and grocery shop so much.  :)  Thank you all again.

Love Eddie, Chrissy, and Allison

***mommy's hands cradling Allison who has her own little sleep mask  ***

No comments:

Post a Comment